Thursday, May 7, 2009

100 Best Novels

I ran through both lists and these are the only ones I have read...or at least that I can remember. How many have you read?

4 books out of two lists??? Hmm...I could probably scout out a decent book out of the Readers List. Time to crack open a new book and smell the pages...ya...that's what I do.

Now, if I could add what movies I saw in these lists there would be quite a few. *s* Guess that's a different website eh?

1984 by George Orwell (in school)
LORD OF THE FLIES by William Golding (in school)
THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY by Douglas Adams
ENDER'S GAME by Orson Scott Card

1 comment:

  1. Well you beat me, I've only read two. On The Road by Jack Kerouac (Which I read so long ago, say 1990ish, that I am sure I've lost the whole meaning of what he was trying to say)and Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (which is actually one of me favourite novels). I 've read just about everything he wrote (I recommend A Man Without a Country, its his 2nd to last book and is actually non-fiction). I spent some time looking up some of the books and I found it interesting that for both of the Readers Lists (novels & non-fiction) the #1 book is by the same author, Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged & The Virtue Of Selfishness). I even read the first few pages of Virtue and in the first paragrah it not only mentions Atlas Shrugged but also quotes from it. It seems the Readers List group feel Ayn has something important to say. I think I'm going to order The Virtue Of Sefishness. I'm reading Understanding Media by Marshall Mcluhan right now (which I am a little surprised didn't make the non-fiction list). I have to say it is a little daunting. I get what he is saying, but he does refernce some books that I am sure, unless you have a PHD, you would probably not have ever read. I guess that could be why he didn't make the list. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete