Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

I watched this show last night and found it to be very good although I did feel a bit queasy afterwards. I think that's quite normal seeing as how the movie is based on The Holocaust through the eyes of a child. As like many, I know a bit on the subject but last night I was left with a nagging thought. We know from history that the Germans thought that the Jewish people were evil (among other reasons) and therefore needed to be exterminated. What I was pondering last night though...was where this belief came into play? If it was only one man...which I doubt...had this belief...how did that come to be? What had happened in their childhood or upbringing to make them believe such a thing?

This morning I looked up The Holocaust on Wiki. I read the entire document. I didn't realize that Homosexuals were also sent to the camps. Not for getting caught in the act but rather for intent or character. On that Wiki page it breaks it down and gives estimates on the total number of victims. I still get chills about the sheer amount. I don't think there is ever a way that anyone that didn't go through that can truly understand it...but we can try...in the hopes that the greatest tragedy on this planet doesn't repeat itself.

On a final note there are two things that I fear on this planet...at this time.

Kim Jong-il
World Economy

2 comments:

  1. This movie was great and sickening. My dad was big on WWII when I was young, and he has tons of books about it. Like you said, the holocaust camps were not only filled with Jewish people, but homosexuals, immigrants, minorities, feminists and basically anyone passionate about something other than the norm. To think how many intelligent and motivated people died for no reason is just insane. Great movie though. On a lighter note, you should check out "The Fall", it's a beautiful movie, I'm a sucker for cinematography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love cinematography and sometimes find myself lost in the "scene" rather then watching the characters unfold before me. lol I will have to check this one out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete