Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Thumbdrive Encryption

I guess it's time we all got serious and actually encrypted our data. Almost everyone has a thumbdrive these days, myself included. Although mine is relatively small in today's standards. 512mb's still gives me plenty of space for things I want to have handy. Check out this video from CNET as it shows a couple programs that will do this. I downloaded the free personal version of Remora USB Disk Guard key and used it on a file that wasn't really important just in case things went haywire. It installed easily and when I clicked on the exe on the USB drive it went on the toolbar on my computer. Click on THAT little icon and you can encrypt an entire folder or just one file. You won't be able to view the file until you decompress it. This little program worked slick for me and I will continue to use it. I only went with the 128 encryption but if you feel that your data is as important for security as the army than go for the 256 encryption. You just never know who wants to get their hands on your Nanna's Artery Blocking Lasagna recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment