Sunday, January 18, 2009

Windows 7

I just installed Windows 7 Beta today on my old desktop computer here and it was extremely painless. I ended up installing it as a dual boot along with my Windows XP that I recently formatted as well. I'm going to try and be diligent and use Windows 7 exclusively though so I can get a good feel for the OS. The picture is my current desktop. It has gadgets like Vista but you can drag them anywhere which should have been the way it was in the first place.

Of course, because it's beta you will undoubtedly experience issues which I have already. My sound card is not supported so unfortunately I've got no sound. I'm not too concerned as I still have my laptop. It did however, install everything else with no issues. I didn't need my Dell drivers disk at all.

Windows 7 "looks" alot like Windows Vista but runs alot faster for me. My computer is only running 1gb of ram and it was very sluggish when I had a dual boot going with Vista the resource hound.

I installed and have ran the following applications with no issues to report.

AVG Free
Firefox and Foxmarks
Office 2007
Zune software
Windows Media Player 12.0
uTorrent

Windows Messenger Live worked when I installed it but after the first restart I got some error messages. Still trying to resolve that one.

So ya, that's it. I'll blog about what I like from time to time. For now, I will continue to give lots of feedback on the OS for this is the way that Microsoft can tweak it out before they release it for real. It's projected for release in early 2010.

PS: I didn't have to setup my home network. It found all the computers on it's own (without adding the workgroup) and I was able to access everything with no issues. Impressive.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot get my Dell Printer to work. :P

    I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

    ReplyDelete