Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Time in a Bottle

Tonight, I spent the evening with my Nanna. We decided to go out for supper. This is not a simple feat. Getting her to the car, in the car and buckled up should actually be an Olympic sport. Sadly, growing old definitely takes it's toll on ones body. We finally got seated in the restaurant after many a slow shuffled steps. She was tired already. I watched her closely across the table. She was unravelling her napkin that held the silverware inside. Although the sequence seemed to be done in slow motion it was quite methodical in nature. It was at that moment that I said to her "I wish I could hit the rewind button Nanna. I would love to go back 30yrs and be in your kitchen watching you bake cookies". She instantly stopped what she was doing and looked up at me. "So do I Ted...so do I" was her reply. I felt a tear well up inside and it took everything in me to hold it back. My Nanna will be leaving for home soon. When I'm with her now I very much try to live presently in each moment. I find myself just watching her...etching these last few visits deeply in my mind. For I know, when I say goodbye nowadays...it really could mean forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment