Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Northern Lights, Magnetic Ropes and Tigers...Oh My!


Nasa scientists say they have made some key discoveries about the Northern Lights. Without going into this deeply they have found the presence of "magnetic ropes" linking the Earth's upper atmosphere to the sun. Whatever happens technically it is a phenomenon like no other!You can read one of many articles found on the web at Wired Science.


I witnessed my first aurora borealis in Arran Saskatchewan. Having grown up in B.C. the mountains didn't allow for such a view. Since moving to Alberta I have been lucky enough to see the Northern Lights many times. One of my fondest memories is a night huddled around a camp fire looking up at the dancing sky for hours. I'll never forget how the light seemed to fill the entire night or as far as my eye could see. It was a spectacular show and way better than any movie I'd ever seen in a theatre.


Where were you when you first saw nature's fireworks? If you haven't seen them yet, make sure to mark it down on your "to-do" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment